Simple Crystal Structures and Miller Indices
Requires a Wolfram Notebook System
Interact on desktop, mobile and cloud with the free Wolfram Player or other Wolfram Language products.
This Demonstration interactively illustrates several crystal structures, showing unit cells and Miller indices.
1. Repetition of unit cell to make crystals
2. Differences in SC, BCC, FCC, HCP and various simple ceramics structures
3. Conventional unit cell (use shift in three directions)
4. Contact condition for atoms (by changing atomic radius)
5. Close-packed directions and close-packed planes
6. Draw planes for Miller indices
7. Explore crystals by rotation and zoom
The last may run slowly, so be patient when there are many 3D spheres and planes to draw![less]
Contributed by: Yunfeng Shi and Adam Bross (April 2018)
Open content licensed under CC BY-NC-SA
"Simple Crystal Structures and Miller Indices"
Wolfram Demonstrations Project
Published: April 2 2018